Thursday 8 December 2011

Yesterday’s Gone

Today was the farewell assembly for my eldest daughters year group. She is currently in year 2 which is in  the ‘Early Childhood’ sub-school. Next year she will be going into year 3, part of the’ Junior School’. This is quite a big deal for the kids because it means leaving their old school and going to a completely different location at the other, much larger, campus of the school.

They will be entering a world of increased responsibility. They will face harsher consequences such as detention and suspension. They will start to do proper fractions (ahhhhh!!!). The kids will also prepare to sit their first National exam, held in the school hall, the NAPLAN.

They are leaving the early childhood sub-school but it also seems as if they are leaving their early childhoods behind as well.

Already my daughter is starting to worry about what grades she will be getting in her school report this term. In my opinion, there is a lot expected of kids these days. I cannot remember being worried about my grades in year 2! Although I try to diminish  it as much as I possibly can, I suspect my girl feels a great deal of pressure to succeed in her sports as well.

I haven’t started to feel nostalgic about my daughters early childhood yet. Although I’m sure the time for these feelings will inevitably come. I am looking forward to the future of my daughters education. As she gets older I have noticed the conversations I have with her increase in complexity. She has formed her own opinions on music, pieces of art, poetry and even time travel. However she still argues with me about the answers to the times tables….

…she is still a child.

 I am looking forward to watching her creativity, inquisitive mind, kind nature and powerful personality develop further. I am looking forward to getting to know the person my baby will turn out to be….

….. I have this nagging feeling though, that when my girl reaches her adulthood, I will feel a wistful longing to have her back, as the child she used to be…..my girl.

Today at the farewell assembly, the children of year 2 sung the ‘Glee’ version of’ ‘Don’t Stop (thinking about tomorrow)’ by Fleetwood Mac ….It was wonderful! I thought that this was a simply inspired choice for the farewell song.  I am extremely grateful for the amazing teachers my daughter has had.

 Through my happy tears, I could see how much all the children have grown and matured from those early days of kindergarten. But as the following lyrics of this song implore us to do: I’m remembering the past, but looking forward to the future….

….well….mostly…..


If you wake up and don't want to smile,
If it takes just a little while,
Open your eyes and look at the day,
You'll see things in a different way.

Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow,
Don't stop, it'll soon be here,
It'll be, better than before,
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.

Why not think about times to come,
And not about the things that you've done,
If your life was bad to you,
Just think what tomorrow will do.

All I want is to see you smile,
If it takes just a little while,
I know you don't believe that it's true,
I never meant any harm to you
.

6 comments:

  1. It is amazing that they look so tiny at the start of the year, almost too small for uniforms. By the end of the year they have morphed into something bigger and wiser and much more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...an all in the blink of an eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My twins have just finished Prep. Sniff! Better not blink or they'll be graduating high school. Time really does fly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Catch, I know what you mean.....sometimes I want the kids to grow up, Sometimes I want them to stay little. I know that when I look back on their childhoods it will feel like it was over in the blink of an eye...so I'm trying to enjoy all the little moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the stress about grades is probably more to do with their high achievement in other areas of their lives. My children being similar to yours (excelling in the sporting arena) were also high achievers in the classroom. I always encouraged them to do THEIR best and that I loved them no matter what. They all set the bar very high in sport, academics and other areas... it goes with the territory, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. The girls seem to put a lot of pressure on themselves to be good at everything.

      Delete