Thursday 19 January 2012

Sometimes, Life Just Isn’t Fair

There is this beautiful little girl in my daughter's class at school. This little girl loves ballet, is always twirling and dancing. She is friendly, smiley and incredibly artistic. Like my little girl, she still believes in fairies and treasure buried under the end of the rainbow.

You might be thinking that there is nothing remarkable here. But, this little girl is also one of the strongest and courageous people I have ever met. She has been fighting a raging battle with a rare form of cancer;  neuroblastoma, for 6 years.

This little fighter has undergone months and months of toxic chemotherapy. It has robbed her of her beautiful blond hair, and forced her to rely on crutches….

…but she still dances.

Once, my little girl had a few days away from school after having gastroenteritis. Upon her return to school, I listened as my daughter told  this little girl how sick she had been with gastro. I thought then, that my daughter just has no absolutely no concept of the amount of pain that this little girl has had to endure.

She should not have had to endure so much pain if life was fair.

Today, the day after her 8th birthday, scans have revealed that the cancer has returned

And no…it’s just not fair.

My heart just breaks for her and her family.

Her Mum….

Her Dad…..

Words are not powerful enough to even get close to the emotion they must be feeling tonight.

Even for me, just a  fellow school mum, after hearing the news tonight I just can’t seem to clear my head or my eyes from the tear that is there every time I look at my own children. I just can’t comprehend how it would feel to know that my child’s life was in danger. To know that there was a real possibility that I may loose them……

Tonight, after my children were asleep, I crept back to their bedrooms to watch them sleep…..hear them breath…to kiss them on their warm little cheeks. But I didn’t want to stop there. I just wanted to scoop them up in my arms, hold them and never let them go….

 ….Sometimes it’s easy to take them for granted……but not tonight.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my heart hurts for this gorgeous little girl and her family.
    This is the stuff that rocks to the core.
    There but for the grace of God...
    :-( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shar for your kind comment. My heart hurts for this little girl too...

      Delete
  2. How heart breaking. What an amazing little girl. These kinds of stories always amaze me and shake me, leave me raw even when the darling child experiencing the horror is so strong and full of life. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I just sat at the computer and wrote. Words and tears came out.

      Delete
  3. Oh that poor little girl. Life really isn't fair. Don't you just wish there was something you could do?!!
    Good luck to her and her family
    things alissa knows @ look.find.inspire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alissa, We have all got our fingers crossed for that special little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has absolutely broken my heart, what a gorgeous little girl. She and her family are in my prayers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and leaving such a lovely comment Steph.

      Delete
  6. This has absolutely broken my heart, you're right life is just not fair. She and her family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete