Wednesday 1 February 2012

Augmented Communication.......Reluctantly!

Yesterday was just one of THOSE days. …..

Buster, my 4 year-old son,  had a long noisy tantrum in the school supply shop. For some reason, it seems all Canberra schools have opted to have their book packs supplied by one small store, which was packed to overflowing. The cue was snaking out the door…There wasn’t even enough room in the isles for two people top pass each other. …and there was Buster, on the floor, screaming , sobbing, shouting, because He wasn’t getting the same school supplies as the girls (although his book-pack was waiting at the counter).

………Not being one to give up easily, I then went off to the shoe shop for tantrum number 2! It wasn’t just an ordinary shoe shop though, I was buying the girls shoes for upcoming athletics competitions…he tried some plain runners on, but they didn’t have a pair of shoes in the shop that fit buster. He even refused to give back the shop’s socks! The young athletic staff and clientele of the sports footwear establishment, couldn’t get us out of there fast enough!

Because I had promised Buster I would buy him a pair of shoes at a different shoe shop, off  we went, But I didn’t buy him shoes. No, I bought him an iPod touch!

This is where we get to the real reason behind my difficult day. You see at speech pathology on Tuesday, Buster attempted to relate the story of his racing debut to his therapist, complete with a determined theatrical re-enactment!......

……….She couldn’t understand a single word and promptly decided that Buster required augmented communication.

She disappeared into her office and brought back a flip book with big exaggerated stick-figure-like pictures for Buster. All I could think of was that little kid in the movie ‘Witness’, mutely pointing to pictures of his mum and dad. I just didn’t want that for my son. I didn’t want him to be that kid with the flip book tired around his neck at preschool, pointing to me.

The speech therapist also recommended an iPad or an iPod touch and a program called Tap-2-talk.

I am intensely worried about augmented communication. I don’t want him to become reliant on it at the expense of his own communication. And I don’t want him signaled out as the different kid on his first day at preschool.

However, I also don’t want buster to get frustrated with his inability to communicate (or the inability of strangers to understand him). I don’t want him spiraling off into a tantrum like he did at the shops out of frustration. I don’t want him to shut down and stop trying,  just giving up.

I desperately want him to remain the enthusiastic, charming, funny, loving little boy that his family knows…

After talking to a parent of a child who has autism and a teacher, both recommended purchasing an iPod.

So there I was, reluctantly buying my son an iPod touch. I wasn’t feeling reluctant because I was spending money we don’t really have (an iPad at 3x price is way out of the question).

I wasn’t feeling reluctant because only days previously I firmly believed a 4 year old had no business owning such a piece of technology.  

I wasn’t feeling reluctant because he’d spent the morning having tantrums (well, maybe a little reluctant).

I was reluctant because I needed to admit to myself that my son has a big problem that, will not be fixed before he starts preschool next week. I had to admit that Buster required augmented communication.

So today, after accepting the obvious, I am going to focus on the things I am thankful for. I am thankful that buster is receiving therapy and is making slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I am thankful I was able to buy buster an iPod touch (or alt least the credit card could). I know that many family’s couldn’t. He is already learning to use tap-2-talk with the help of his enthusiastic big sister. I hope the iPod touch will give him confidence and the ability to communicate at preschool if he needs it.

Finally I am thankful for my little man. His bubbly personality, his enthusiasm, his unrelenting desire to be a big kid, his excitement at getting his own iPod touch. His relationship with his sisters and his family, his look to me for approval, the way he says mummeee….I truly wouldn’t swap him for the world!


For Thankful Thursday, I am linking up with the wonderful Kate at Kate says stuff . Come and see what other inspirational bloggers are thankful for!





24 comments:

  1. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses to both you and Buster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I remember having worries about my son using pictures to communicate, and me using photos and pictures to explain to him what was happening... but they really worked well and helped him develop speech... if he'd only talk less these days! I think all mums worry but these devices have a fantastically positive impact on most kids. Glad to hear it's starting well with Buster.

    We've had a few tantrums as we wound up the holidays and got set for school... but all kids are there today all day for the first time ever.... and the one who didn't talk now chatters and is in Year 9 - amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment Seana! I love to hear stories with good outcomes. It helps to make me feel more positive and hopeful about my son.

      perhaps the imminent return to school and the end of the long holiday is taking its toll as well!

      Delete
  3. I think he has the best of all mothers to help him through this. I'd watch the program carefully and if it's helping, fine. If you witness anything negative, your motherly instincts will tell you the right way to go. What a trial you two have ahead of you. Life sometimes offers us the most unique trials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Donna, such a nice thing to say! Some days I feel like a definite 'fail' though.

      I will keep a very close eye on things.

      Delete
  4. We had a folder with pictures for my youngest when she was in pre-school. The teachers put it off to the side so she didn't stand out so much but still, it is sad to know it is needed.

    Now both my girls are blessed with iPads and we love the Grace App and iCommunicate - both of which are available for iPod also - they have made the world of difference to any communication issues we have.

    Bless Apple for making assisted communication devices which are cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marita! I makes me feel so much better to know there have been other children and parents in similar situations.

      I am feeling the love for Apple today. I'm going to have a look at those apps you suggested right now!

      Delete
  5. Such a cutie you have. Loved this post! Wow, it looks like you got a little SLP on your hands. Your daughter is so good with her brother. He was really cooperating with her. Many times I have trouble getting Jake to focus at home. I liked that game too, I'll have to google it. I've never even heard of augmented communication, so I learned something new today. I'd love to hear more about it in your future posts. You blogged every day in January. Impressive! I'm up to 2 days a week and I'm going to try and write some Mondays. I'm going to start getting some iPad apps for Jake's speech. I'll keep you posted if I find any good ones. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so Much! I have really been enjoying reading your blog as well! I have just got an app called 'tiga talk' today and so far I'm quite impressed with it!

      I've been trying to find ways to keep speech practice fun...but it's hard work for the poor kid really.

      Thanks for following!!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much Marita! I makes me feel so much better to know there have been other children and parents in similar situations.

    I am feeling the love for Apple today. I'm going to have a look at those apps you suggested right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit to being quite judgemental when I see young children with things like ipods etc, thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that there is more than one way to communicate and learn. Good luck as Buster starts his adventure at preschool, may he live large!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skyelee. I admit I had similar thoughts as well...I'm still worried he is going to drop it. But some of the apps are amazing. They are seemingly designed for kids just like my son. He has been using it and saying his sounds today without a struggle!

      Delete
  8. I feel the same emotions as you :) and how funny that both of our posts today dealt with aug comm.? I know that if we have to utilize a device for school it will be tough when she begins kindergarten but right now her preschool is so supportive - I don't trust the other children with a device at this point so I am going to make her some simple communication cards to use now to see if this will help. I know your son will be great with his "talker" and from everyone I have heard from they say these devices and tools go away as the speech comes in! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful support. I am very worried about preschool...and I just can't wait for the time where the devices are no longer required!

      Delete
  9. Oh matey I feel for you... I know that feeling as you know and it can hurt a lot.

    I hope things work out well with preschool starting and you know where I am if you need/want an ear or a shoulder to cry on.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate. Sharing this story on my blog has given me so much encouragement and support from amazing people like you. Thank you for being there!

      Delete
  10. I take my hat off to you, sounds like you are doing a stellar job! It's amazing how technology can help in so many different ways :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have spent some time today researching some of the apps and programs out there and the technologies and ideas are just amazing!

      Delete
  11. Hi there Sporty Mummy,
    Reading that post made me very sad. It is not that I feel sorry for you, or your son and wonderful family. It made me sad because it can be so hard to admit to the one thing we don't want to admit to...our OWN issues. So, sadness aside....you have, in the end, done a great thing by taking the matter of your son's learning/health issues as the professionals who are reaching out with suggestions and aids such as augmented communication.
    Look at those photos of your son.
    Gee they show a boy feeling relief that he has ways that help.
    Hard, so hard to be in situation where you have had to change ideas & mindsets and by doing it, you have now made such a good choice...Yay for you... More than happy to help educationally over on my website if you ever want to ask a question ..... I know I wrote an essay response, but your post is such an 'ah ha' one, it warranted this! Much respect Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment Denyse. You have hit the nail on the head and have understood what my post was really about. I didn't want to admit to my own issues. I know that is why I was having such a bad day...because in the back of my mind I knew I was going to have to accept augmented communication and accept the fact that my son needs it.

      Thank you so much for understanding, and for your kind offer to help with answering any educational questions.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment Denyse. You have hit the nail on the head and have understood what my post was really about. I didn't want to admit to my own issues. I know that is why I was having such a bad day...because in the back of my mind I knew I was going to have to accept augmented communication and accept the fact that my son needs it.

    Thank you so much for understanding, and for your kind offer to help with answering any educational questions.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really are such a fabulous, selfless Mummeee.
    I hope Buster continues to make progress - you're all working so hard for it.
    Gorgeous pics too.
    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so hope he continues to make progress too....

      Delete