Wednesday 18 April 2012

Rollerblading: A Parenting Dream


A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I had a boyfriend who had an 8 year old daughter. On his week-ends with her, one of their favorite things was to go rollerblading (in-line skating) around the lake…..well, it was the late 1990’s and rollerblades were almost trendy…almost!)

She would have so much fun skating with her dad and me. She had big rosy red cheeks and such a beautiful smile. I think it really bought the two of them closer together.

The relationship ended a long, long time ago, but I have often thought, that when I have a child, I’d love to take them rollerblading around the lake too.

I know that other mums dream of taking their little girls shopping, doing their hair and make up, cuddling with them in bed and sharing songs and stories. I dreamed of these things too (well....maybe the shopping, hair and make up not so much :). It’s been a long time coming, but my parenting dream has been fulfilled!

My 7 year-old daughter, Muscles and I set off around the local lake on our rollerblades. The blades were a Christmas present and she has been slowly building up confidence skating around on our driveway. She was a little hesitant at first and held my hand in a ‘death-like grip’. Every small hill was met with trepidation, ever bump was thoroughly examined and cautiously navigated……

……But, little by little her confidence began to build as we started to skate faster and more fluidly. I love the feeling of skating, the motion, speed and freedom. I could see by the smile on her face and the look in her eyes that she loved it too! We skated around the lake, surrounded by the reflection of the pale blue autumn sky. The trees have just started to turn yellow and they looked simply stunning glowing in the sunlight.



I think she really felt special too. We got to spend some wonderful time together, just the two of us. Other kids would point and say “….look dad, those skates are so cool!...”. I took my camera (of course!) and she loved posing for photographs…basking in 100% attention….and flattery from her adoring Mum, who thinks she is so beautiful, inside and out!



So today I am thankful for my brave little skater girl…..Muscles. I am so thankful for the wonderful opportunity of sharing this fantastic experience with her. I am extremely and forever thankful for my three amazing kids but I am thankful that I have had the chance to spend some one-on-one time with my little girl.


For Thankful Thursday I'm sharing with Kate Says Stuff. I just love to sit back and take stock of what I am thankful for....It really makes those niggly little unimportant problems fade right into the background......What are you thankful for today?




15 comments:

  1. Funny what we look forward to as parents. I can't wait for my first mother-daughter hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to a hike too! and not one of the 'hikes' that are board walked and safety railed....a real one! ....can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shiny moments that glow so brightly in our mind are what we want to give to our children, whether it's rollerblading, their first wobbly bike ride (oh the freedom!), or baking a Dolly Varden cake (Tinkerbell!) for their birthday.

    Love the pictures and her smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! It's those shiny moments that make the duller ones worth while :)

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous girl and go the rollerblading !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, although I must admit, I still have never been rollerblading!!
    I cannot wait to take my kids to the movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Before having kids I thought i would be off doing all that great stuff....it can take a while to get there....years even!

      Delete
  6. Nawww how gorgeous! I'm so pleased to see her wearing full protective gear. My Miss 10 still wears hers, even at the rink and when she gets to start junior derby she'll quite happily wear her helmet too! Mind you, my heart still skips a beat when I see her leap waist high into the air in her skates (quads) but I can't tell her off... since that confidence is what Roller Derby is all about and her role models (namely me and my friends) do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love! I want to get some rollerskates now. Seriously, I am going to look into it! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I love skating because it's so fun! It's great for running too because it really works on your balance!

      Delete
  8. I tried roller blading once. Broke my ankle, fell into a rancid lake. Wasn't pretty. I still remember all those Parisians watching me, laughing. Not one offer of help.
    I'm left handed and have always been clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful - the experience and the pics.
    :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! Since my oldest son (14) is a hockey player and my middle son (8) has been around this sport his whole life, they both roller blade really well. I've been out running with them while they roller blade, but have never tried it myself. Your pictures are beautiful! Autumn weather is my favorite. It's spring here and about to get hot! Take care-

    ReplyDelete